Oktoberfest in Helen GA
Top Five Reasons To Experience Helen, GA’s Oktoberfest
Helen, Georgia is famous far and wide for its’ Bavarian theme and small-town charm. Best known for the popular Oktoberfest which is held every year from mid-September through the end of October, if you have not visited “Alpine Helen” at that time of year, here is why you should:
- Oktoberfest celebration at the Festhalle– This venue, German for “Festival Hall”, was made for this type of event. “Oompah Bands”, Polka bands, and other musicians with a Bavarian flair play their hearts out, while revelers dance and make merry. You really would not want to miss out on doing “The Chicken Dance”, would you?! Bavarian-style food, and of course beer (and other beverages) are available for purchase. It runs every night during October, and on weekends only the last half of September, giving everyone a chance to party down, German style!
- Of course, you can find German food, and spot gentlemen in lederhosen and ladies in dirndl skirts anytime you come to Helen, but during Oktoberfest, the Bavarian theme gets kicked up a notch. There is an aura of celebration in the air. Most restaurants have live music, playing outdoors when the weather is nice. From clogging lessons to glassblowing demonstrations, there is always something interesting going on to entertain the crowds.
- Speaking of the weather– autumn is a glorious time to visit the North Georgia Mountains. While it does rain occasionally, the changing leaves and cooler weather have a dramatic, yet comforting effect. So enjoy the fireplace in your cabin until the rain stops, then get out there and enjoy Mother Nature. Or, go back to Helen for a nice meal and some more revelry!
- Ah, yes, the leaves…..be sure to bring your camera, as it really turns gorgeous up here in October. The leaves usually peak between mid and late October, but they put on a show for most of the month. Take a drive, take a walk, ride a bike or a horse….however you do it, make the most of your time here, taking in the awesome display of colors that are everywhere you look. (Call us at 706-878-1773 for information on setting up those activities).
- Oktoberfest may be the most famous event during the fall, but Fall Festivals are becoming more popular every year. Many can be found within a short distance from Helen, so check with our office, or follow this blog. Every month, we post what is coming up in the following months, to help you plan your North Georgia vacation. Fall Festivals usually include live music, food, beverages, activities, and goods for sale, so everyone can have a fun time.
There is so much more to do than what we have described here. But many folks come back year after year to enjoy Helen, Georgia’s Oktoberfest- reputed to be one of the longest-running Oktoberfest celebrations in the world (the original one in Germany lasts for only one week). The only other advice we have is- book early! Most accommodations, including Blue Ridge Cabin Rentals, tend to book up in advance for the most popular weekends. We hope to see you out there, doing The Chicken Dance on Main Street!